Tom and Alie sent their beloved Westy here all the way from Maryland. Whenever anybody contacts us from the east coast with a Westy they want us to restore, I get a little nervious. What east-coasters call "non-rusty," us west-coasters typically call a rust bucket. What we call "rust free," they call a "museum piece!" I have heard it a hundred times: "Always garaged, never used in the winter, yada, yada, yada."
Needless to say, I was very relieved when this Westy showed up and it was REALLY all those things. This vehicle is NICE. Not a SPOT of rust. The paint is not perfect, but it IS original. So, we decided to save as much of it as possible.
Here is a list of all we did:
- Nose, luggage rack, top repainted (rest of paint is original)
- Black texture treatment around bottom, GoWesty style
- New hemp/cotton 3-window pop-top tent-tie dyed
- New hemp/cotton curtains-also tie dyed-to match!
- New LP tank
- South African grille and headlights
- Interior disassembled and every nook and cranny inside cleaned
- Recaro front seats in black Recaro Nardo/Artista fabric
- Door panels recovered in combination of Recaro fabrics to match
- Super comfy downstairs mattress upholstered in Recaro fabric to match
- Power door locks and windows added to front doors
- Nice speakers installed-already had a decent CD player
- Almost $500 worth of AC work done-but don't get too excited...It is still a Westy, after all!
- All new rear brakes (front brakes were over 90%)
- Bilstein shocks all around
- Front suspension and steering rebuilt as needed
- New Michelin HydroEdge tires on OEM South African 15 inch "Rhein: style alloy wheels
- Fresh GoWesty 2.5 liter engine
- New muffler and tail pipe (rest was NICE)
- All new cooling system
- GoWesty super duper, ultra major service-all maintenance back to zero miles
- All new fuel delivery system-fuel tank re-sealed, ALL new fuel hose
- Full page of reliability-enhancing components preemptively replaced to the tune of over $2600
- Fresh AT transaxle, with
- 9% TALLER final drive (9% LOWER engine speed on the highway)
- 14" spare tire on an alloy wheel-uses same bolts
- Solar powered auxiliary battery system
- Original fridge replaced with new storage space
- Engel all-electric frig installed on Engel quick-release platform
-3-point retracting seat belts added to rear seat
-Tether strap anchors added child seats when in rear seat
- Fiamm F-45 awning, 10-foot model, in black case
- Propex LP gas furnace
- Shipping from/to their front door!
Nice going, guys!