Yes this is doable on any water-boxer powered Vanagon, and it is all bolt-on!
This is what you will need:
• Power steering rack assembly
• Steel steering shaft between rack and gear box
• Steel power steering metal lines from rack to pump
• Power steering pump, pulley and brackets
• Three hoses: High Pressure, low Pressure, and bulk hose.
• Fluid reservoir and mounting bracket
• V-belt (10 x 1075)
• V-belt pulley on engine if you have a very, very early Vanagon with a pulley that only accepts one belt.
• Steering wheel—vehicles equipped with power steering cam with slightly smaller steering wheel
That’s it, plus a day to bolt it all on!
Note: We are working on an electric power steering rack that bolts in place of the original power or non-power rack! No hoses, pulleys, tubing, fluid—just a couple of wires to hook up, and voila! Keep an eye on our site, coming soon!
Check out the Schematic!