After many years of testing, we are very excited to offer you our ultimate waterboxer option: The 2700.
Our 2700 has run in the 24 Hours of LeMons endurance road racing events six times, even driving to and from the event on one occasion. It has also run the NORRA Mexican 1000 , a 1250-1400 miles off-road rally that runs the length of the Baja peninsula, four times. We got class wins in both events. Not only did the 2700 perform flawlessly during the entirety of all four, for the 50th anniversary of the NORRA Baja rally it propelled the van four hundred miles from Los Osos to the starting line in Ensenada, as well as the 1400+ miles back to Los Osos from the finish line at Cabo! Indeed, we have tried to break this engine in every way we possibly could and failed miserably! We are confident in its longevity and reliability!
GoWesty 2700cc high output engine power specs:
• 10:1 compression, with 162 hp & 197 ft-lbs of torque when fitted with our GW-EFI.
• 80% more HP and 82% more torque (area under the torque curve) than the original VW 2100cc engine.
You get everything included in the "Engine Specs tab" plus the following:
• Brand new billet steel, fully counter-weighted crankshaft with 84.5mm stroke
• Engine block and heads specially modified to accept the larger stroke crankshaft and larger bore cylinders
• Porsche piston-cooling oil jets ("squirters")
• Brand new, forged connecting rod set with new ARP bolts
• Custom made in USA 100.75mm forged and coated JE brand pistons
• Custom made in USA 100.75mm steel cylinders
• Proprietary camshaft grind specifically for this engine
• Larger intake & exhaust valves
• CNC ported intake & exhaust ports
• Brand new 1.25:1 ratio rocker arms
• Brand new OEM type oil cooler
Mandatory requirements for operation and full warranty coverage:
• GoWesty Engine Management System (GW-EFI)
• 91 Octane fuel - minimum*
*GoWesty recommends the highest octane you can get, even if your engine is rated to operate on a lower octane. The 2700cc MUST have 91 octane minimum. The other engines can run lower octane. It can NEVER hurt to use fuel of a higher octane than the minimum recommended, whereas using a lower octane can cause catastrophic engine failure. Fuel is all so expensive now, and the percent difference in cost between the lowest and highest octane is almost insignificant. Bottom line: It just does not make sense to use the lower octane stuff!
All our rebuilds receive the following parts and treatment:
• Engine cases (block), machined as needed
• Heli-coil installed in case to prevent drain plug oil leak
• New cylinder head studs as required
• Crankshaft machined as needed (except 2700cc)
• Connecting rods rebuilt and precisely installed (except 2450cc & 2700cc)
- Large end re-sized and custom fitted to each rod journal
- Small end re-bushed and fitted to standard wrist pin bushing per factory specifications
- Length matched to each other and set to factory length
- Rod bolts replaced with OEM non-stretch bolts
- Balanced to each other, and end to end, to factory spec or better
• Camshaft re-ground with custom GoWesty profile
- Guaranteed to pass tail pipe emissions test in all 50 states
- Grind selected for good idle and low-end torque
• New hydraulic lifters
• All new tappet adjustment screw lash caps - as needed
• All new bearings: main, rod, and camshaft
• New, high-volume oil pump, machined to clearance cover and accept o-ring, installed with bolts instead of nuts
• New proprietary GoWesty cast pistons
- Cast exclusively for GoWesty by Silv-O-Lite Pistons, USA (except 2450cc & 2700cc)
- State of the art "slipper skirt" design
- Molybdenum disulfide ("moly") coated skirts
- State of the art anti-friction/clearance control coating on skirts
• Precision bored and diamond-honed cylinders in GoWesty proprietary torque plate
• GoWesty DOES NOT use the original German cylinder heads (click here for the full cylinder head story)
- We use only AMC-brand (made in Spain) cylinder head castings
- Much heavier-duty casting compared to the original German heads
- High-quality OEM-style intake and exhaust valves
- De-burred intake and exhaust ports, precision four-angle valve grind
- OE German-quality OEM-style intake and exhaust valves
• New OEM quality GRAF brand water pump
-installed with bolts instead of studs for easier replacement
• New GoWesty Alternator Bracket Fix Kit
• V-belt pulley, coolant x-tube, connection hose, and steel elbow installed
• New correct oil pressure switches installed in their correct locations
• Cleaned oil cooler installed (2.1 applications only)
• Reconditioned flywheel or flexplate installed and crankshaft endplay properly set
• Valve covers, intake manifolds, and plenum re-painted and installed (exchange)
• Distributor drive installed in correct position
• Correct spark plugs installed with anti-seize compound
• Crated and ready to ship
Shipping: Freight costs are $300-1000 (including return of core) anywhere in the lower 48 states. These engines ship truck freight only. The closer the destination address is to our facility in California, the lower the freight cost will be. A freight quote will be generated by our staff after you have completed your online order. *NOTE* The delivery destination MUST have a forklift to get the engine crate off the truck. Please check with your local installer prior to completing your online order. If a forklift is not available, a surcharge of up to $190 ($95 each way) for a lift-gate truck will be added to the shipping cost. In addition, there is a residential delivery surcharge of $100. If you live in Canada, please click here for important broker information.
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO EMAIL OUR SALES DEPARTMENT FOR A FAST, ACCURATE SHIPPING QUOTE ON YOUR ENGINE ORDER.
Core exchange: $1500 CORE CHARGE POLICY: Our engines are sold on an exchange basis. We expect an engine like the one you purchased to be traded in. For instance, you cannot trade in a 1.9-liter waterboxer core and purchase a 2.1-liter engine and expect the entire $1500 core deposit back. We deduct the following amounts from the core charge refund: Engine cases: $750, or part thereof for repairs as needed. Head studs: $50 per stud to a maximum of $750. Crankshaft: $250. Rods: $50/each (and so on with each component). So, for example, if your engine cases are no good (i.e.: too badly pitted), but the rest of the parts are OK, you will receive a refund of $250. If everything is in good shape, except all head studs have to be replaced, you will get $250 back. Or, if you send in no core at all, you will forfeit your entire $1500 core deposit. Click here to see a copy of the core return worksheet.
|WARRANTY TYPE||LABOR COVERAGE||PARTS COVERAGE||COST|
|Standard||48/48,000, pro-rated, $60/hour||Retail cost, pro-rated||No charge|
12 months/12,000 miles: 100% coverage (up to $115/hour)
36 months/36,000 miles: Split 50/50 by vehicle owner and GoWesty
12 months/12,000 miles: 100% coverage
|Road Warrior||100% coverage for 48 months/48,000 miles||100% coverage for 48 months/48,000 miles||$500|
Cancellation Policy: We put a lot of time and energy into packaging your rebuilt engine. If you purchase an engine from us—and then decide to cancel the order within 30 days—we will refund you in full, minus any transportation fees and a 5% restocking fee. If you decide to cancel your order after 30 days, our normal refund policy applies (you can view that by clicking here).
This waterboxer engine kit meets or exceeds tail pipe emissions standards for any 1983-91 Volkswagen Vanagon originally fitted with a waterboxer engine.