When it comes time to replace your starter, we strongly recommend upgrading to a new and improved GoWesty gear reduction starter. Shoot, these things are so awesome that you might consider replacing your working starter now, just so you don't end up stranded somewhere in the future.
• More powerful
• More reliable
• Exclusive mounting flange ensures ample clearance—even in the Syncro model with locking differential
• Exclusive bolted-on trigger wire design
• Self-supported shaft design
Fits the following vehicles:
• Type II Bus from 1976-79 with manual transaxle
• Aircooled Vanagon from 1980-82 with manual transaxle
• Watercooled 1900cc & 2100cc Vanagons from 1983-91 with manual transaxle, including Syncro*
• 1kW Standard Output for all air-cooled & waterboxers up to 2300cc displacement (except Syncro), or...
• 1.4kW High Output for 4WD Syncro, 2WD waterboxers over 2400cc displacement, engine conversions, and vehicles being driven sub-zero climates.
These exclusive GoWesty starters are way more powerful and reliable. These are not like other starters you might see offered elsewhere. Our exclusive GoWesty design features a bolted-on trigger wire (circuit 50) for maximum reliability. Not only is the less-than-secure original connection at the solenoid eliminated, but the connection to the factory wiring is relocated to the engine compartment where it is much easier to access—and it will stay clean and dry. In addition, it features a self-supported shaft design: The original Bosch starter for manual transaxles is not a self-supported design. Instead, it relies on a small bushing that is pressed into the bell housing of the transaxle. This bushing is very difficult to replace with the engine in place. Our new starter design for both A/T and M/T has this bushing built-in, which is what makes it a self-supported design, eliminating one possible failure point that is difficult to diagnose and repair.
For the full story on the development of this starter—and our lengthy experience with various iterations of Vanagon and Bus starters—we encourage you to read this article.
Sold outright. No core charge!
NOTE: GoWesty starters are proprietary—you will not find this starter anywhere else. Sure, there may be other vendors selling the same brand of gear reduction starter, but they’re not the same higher-output units we carry. Also, we have ensured the correct body positioning specific to 2WD or 4WD Vanagon application. These exclusive starters feature a unique high-reliability electrical connection you won’t find elsewhere. GoWesty—we've got your back!
• Fitment in a Syncro requires access to the top mounting bolt from the engine side. If you have an engine conversion or adapter that blocks this access, you cannot use this starter.
• Some rare Buses and air-cooled Vanagons had a 5th cold start injector wired to the starter. If you want to keep this 5th injector, you'll need to wire it to the small black wire on the starter.
• Will NOT fit diesel, or 1968-75 Type II Bus. If you have a '68-'75 Bus, you need the GVW-HTS-AT.
• Features 4.44:1 gear reduction ratio
• Smaller, more efficient motor than Bosch design
• Produces 1.0kw in standard output form, matching the OEM output, or...
• Produces 1.4kw, which is 40% more power than the Bosch design, but draws 20% less amperage
This starter is NOT warrantied when used in conjunction with engine conversions (Bostig, Subaru, etc.).
Note: GoWesty high-performance engines are not "conversions."