The GoWesty rear disc brake conversion is not simply a re-purposed mishmash of parts from other vehicles like some kits out there. This system is properly engineered, tested, and specifically designed to be a direct bolt-on fit on any Vanagon—using all new parts and with no modifications required. No machining your hubs, no messing around.
This brake system takes about as much time to install as it takes to do a regular “rear brake job” on the existing drum brake system—about two hours. That is, if you can find somebody who knows how to work on drum brakes! Nowadays, finding a mechanic who knows what they are doing when it comes to drum brakes is not easy. Drum brakes have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, plain and simple. Not only do they under-perform in terms of actually stopping your vehicle, they are very labor-intensive to service and maintain compared to disc brakes. It’s really no wonder why they disappeared entirely from use decades ago.
The initial cost of this system is about twice as much as the cost for all the parts needed to completely rebuild the existing drum brake system. However, since the cost to maintain our new system thereafter is substantially less, the system will pay for itself—and then some!—over time. Cost-wise, it’s a no-brainer. Performance-wise, it is just plain silly not to switch!
Fits: All 1980-91 Vanagon models - 2WD & Syncro
• (2) GoWesty drum-to-disc brake adaptor brackets
• (2) Calipers
• (2) Rotors
• (1) Brake pad set
• (2) Braided stainless hoses
• (2) Parking brake cables
• (1) All needed hardware and detailed installation instructions
Features at a glance:
• Improved stopping performance
• Improved pedal feel
• Improved parking brake by about thirty-percent
• Better performance, better long-term availability, and better value than just rebuilding the existing drum brake system
Still need convincing?
• Additional cost to update to a disc brake system will pay for itself after the very first brake job!
• Drum brakes are obsolete. Move on up to the 21st (uh, I mean, mid-20th) century!
• You will find it difficult to locate a mechanic who really knows how to work on drum brakes, and even if you do...
• You will pay a lot more in labor to maintain the drum brake system over time.
• Disc brakes versus drum brakes: They are simpler, cheaper to maintain, stop better, and have a better parking brake, too!
Important fit note: This rear disc brake kit requires the use of 15” or larger wheels. Will not fit the original 14” steel or alloy wheel.
Caliper assembly: The caliper, bracket, and pad assembly we designed the system around is an exact copy of the rear caliper assembly Volkswagen used on the 2001-03 Eurovan. We chose this caliper because it was designed for a vehicle of similar size and weight, so we knew it was up to the task in all regards, not the least of which is a parking brake that actually works!
Rotor: The rotor is designed specifically to fit a Vanagon without modification to the hub. This is a key component in many ways, but especially because it does not require any modification to the hub—unlike other kits that repurpose a rotor from another vehicle that requires machined hubs to fit. Additionally, we specified a friction surface identical to the 2001-03 Eurovan, so we know it works perfectly with that caliper. The rotor diameter at the friction surface is 284mm.
Adaptor, hose, parking brake, hardware: In addition to the caliper and rotor, all the supporting parts in this kit were engineered right here at GoWesty. They have all been thoroughly thought-out, tested, and manufactured just for us (you). So, you can count on continued service parts on an ongoing basis!