This driveshaft decoupler is what every Syncro should have been equipped with from the factory. In fact, every Syncro was supposed to come with one, but for cost saving measures (we think) the design was abandoned in favor of the Audi designed all-wheel drive "viscous coupler" approach. Full time all-wheel drive is great, but completely unnecessary for a great majority of Syncro owners. This driveshaft decoupler allows the driver to select between 2WD and 4WD on the fly at any speed via a dash mounted knob. It reduces unnecessary wear on the drive-train and tires and improves the ability to perform tight turns on dry surfaces. Put the choice back in your hands, and get a decoupler. Check out our related article here.
Installation: The kit installs in roughly (4) Four hours with simple hand tools, and comes with complete detailed instructions and all required parts & plumbing for the job. Please note: This de-coupler kit works with any Syncro transaxle with or without the factory rear locking differential, locker console on the dashboard and vacuum system that operates the factory rear differential lock. However:
• If your Syncro IS equipped with the factory rear locker and locker console: Please also buy the additional bulb you will need for the console. Additionally, if you want both your knobs to match, also buy another knob. See related items, below.
• If your vehicle is NOT equipped with a factory rear differential lock: You will need to purchase our Base Vacuum System for Locker/Decoupler. Detailed information about this system is available in the Bentley Repair Manual.
Save a few bucks! Now available with your choice of OEM Volkswagen dash switch, or our lower cost GW Aftermarket dash switch. Please select in the drop-down menu.
This product is proudly manufactured in the USA by GoWesty and features a limited lifetime, non-transferrable warranty on parts and workmanship.
• A 17mm combination box and open end wrench
• Two (2) 13mm combination open and box-end wrenches
• Ratchet with 13mm & 17mm sockets, short and medium extensions
• Phillips screwdriver
• Drill or Dremel tool
• Soft hammer
• Two large jack stands (six ton works well) and wheel chocks
• Floor jack
• Work light
• Transmission Gear Oil - 5 quarts - Go synthetic with Redline MT90
• Flange sealant (We use Wurth Flange Sealant, part #0893574050)
• Fluid pump or squeeze bottle with spout and short hose
• Oil drain pan
• Transmission drain and fill plug tool (17mm male allen socket)
• Solvent, contact cleaner, rags
• Bentley Service Manual highly recommended
A bit more backstory: The decoupler option was never offered widely by Volkswagen. There have been a few different aftermarket manufacturers of these over the years. Some of the designs out there are almost exact copies of the original VW design. Our GoWesty design is the result of much experimentation on our own vehicles over the years; it is a culmination of our practical experience and our engineering background. The GoWesty design is very simple—which ensures reliable service at a very reasonable price. We have invested our money in areas where it needed to be invested—not for stuff that isn't necessary. For example, every drive flange we use has been meticulously cleaned, then machined—so the driveshaft coupling is guaranteed to be true. There is nothing worse than introducing a new feature in your vehicle only to have a new problem come along with it. Another example of an included feature (which is a product of experience) is an added bushing between the decoupler shaft and pinion shaft that allows for safe rear wheel spin without damage to the decoupler or pinion shafts. However, this DOES NOT mean you can tow your syncro on the rear wheels, or run it on a rear wheel dynamometer where the rear wheels can spin relative to the front wheels for extended periods. THIS MUST BE AVOIDED.
A core charge is a deposit until your old parts are returned and inspected.
There is a $500 core charge* that will be refunded upon the return of your transaxle's complete output housing, flange assembly, and splined shaft. (If the flange assembly or the splined sleeve is missing there is a $50 deduction for each component).This used output housing is what we modify to become the main "body" of the decoupler. If your output housing is damaged or unusable for any reason, we will not be able to build a decoupler out of it, and you will forfeit your core charge.