Posted by: Kent Sharp
Last Modified: 02/07/2021
Located in Breckenridge Colorado
I am very conflicted to be selling my beloved 91' 2.5L Subaru turbo converted Vanagon Westfalia. I spent the last 5 years building and restoring this van into one of the most badass 2wd westfalias I have ever seen. I have literally thousands of hours and a lot of money in restoring this van.
PRICE DROP TO $49,000
Open to reasonable offers.
Serious inquiries please. No joyriders
If you are looking for the ultimate getaway, fully contained Westy, look no further, you will never find a van like this. These vans have become very iconic and for good reason, they are some of the most badass camper vans ever made.
1991 VW Vanagon GL Westfalia 220,000 miles on chassis
Engine from 2004 Forester XT. 40,000 miles on fully rebuilt engine
Original 4speed manual transmission completely rebuilt and beefed up 40,000 miles ago
All parts listed below have been installed within the last 40k miles (5 years)
The van has spent most of its life in colorado, carfax available on request.
I am only selling it so I can work on another syncro project. Almost every moving mechanical part has been replaced. All rubber has been replaced. The interior has every comfort you could want. The body is in great shape, one little spot of minor seam rust but everything else looks great. The bottom has been fully lined with underliner underneath.
This van has so many new parts I struggled to list them all but a comprehensive list is below.
This van rips! the engine came from a 04 forester XT, and was fully rebuilt to new during the conversion. The transaxle has been fully built with taller 3rd and 4th gears for highway cruising and a Peloquin limited slip differential.
With 210 HP and 235 ft. lbs of torque, slow hills and passes are no longer a thing. Passing cars is a kick in the pants.
With the COBB Access Port, engine tuning and management and diagnostics is easy and comprehensive. Loaded heavy with a yakima roof box it gets 18-20MPG on the Highway.
2.5L subaru turbo conversions into a a vanagon are very rare, because they are to do hard. Conversion houses will charge you insane amounts of money for a subaru turbo swap. Do some research, a 2.5L turbo Westy is a unicorn.
The van is setup with a 1.5" lift, big tires, complete suspension overhaul and the T3 Technique Heavy Duty sway bar for increased stability. Rides great on road and off.
This thing will get places a Sprinter would never dream of.
Inside every comfort you could need. 200W of solar, 150AH house batteries, Propex Heater, shurflo faucet, full LED dimable lighting, new Sunbrella pop top canvas. Even on the shortest day of the year power is no problem.
The pop top hinges were recently rebuild and complete with double gas lifting shocks, it pops with a roof box full of gear no problem. A lockable SeaHorse Storage box is mounted in the luggage rack for extra tools and misc. items.
This van has acted as home for me for many months and is amazingly comfortable.
I have driven it from colorado to california 5 times in the last 3 years.
Very little, a tiny bit of seam rust I treated a few years ago but it came back (see pics).
Drips a tiny bit of oil (1/4 quart in 1000miles) from an oil gallery plate in the bell housing. Oil leak has not gotten any worse in 40k miles.
No AC. The rear ac was removed and turned into a storage cabinet. Living in the mountains I never really needed it. I’ve got the Subaru compressor, you could get it going with the Small Cars kit https://smallcar.com/vanagon/dash-air-for-vanagons/
Walk Around video:
FULL LIST OF MODIFICATIONS AND PARTS:
SUBARU ENGINE MODS:
• Complete overhaul and rebuild
• Cylinders bored to 0.02” oversize – work done at Gunn Auto in Denver CO
• New oversized pistons and rings
• All new journals and seals
• Complete valve job – work done at Gunn Auto in Denver CO
• All mating surfaces honed – work done at Gunn Auto in Denver CO
• RMW shortened oil pan
• Complete bottom and top end seals
• Timing belt, tensioner, idler pulleys
• New oil pump, water pump, thermostat
• Tumble Generator Valve(TGV) deletion kit
• Turbo oil supply line filter delete
• New Ignition Coil
• New intake camshaft pullys
• New OCV control solenoids
CONVERSION RELATED MODS:
• Cobb Acessport Computer
• Complete trouble code deletion
• Air to water intercooler (AWIC)
• Heat exchanger, fan, and pump for AWIC
• Custom brackets and coolant reservoir built for AWIC
• Aftermarket intake blow off valve (BOV)
• Cobb Performance MAF adapter and filter cone 2019
• Custom silicon and aluminum intake system
• Clutch slave cylinder bracket modified and welded to fit exhaust/turbo
• Remote oil filter/cooler adaptor plates
• 10 AN stainless braided oil lines for remote filter/cooler
• Oil pressure, transaxle temp, coolant temp, turbo boost, and intake temp gauges
• Custom engine coolant system
• RMW engine carrier bar
• RMW Engine/transmission adaptor plate and flywheel
• Single overhead cam (SOHC) Subaru motor mounts
• RMW power steering adaptor kit
• New power steering filter 2017
• Porsche 944 new CV joints 2020
• Rockford brand CV boots 2020
• New complete clutch system (hydro & mechanical) stainless hydro lines
• New fuel lines tank to engine
• New Coolant reservoir and RMW bracket
• Subaru fuel pump controller
• New serpentine belt 2016
• Adapted tachometer with 8k face – work done by Small Cars
• Front to rear boost gauge line
• AWIC fan controlled by intake temp switch
• Blaze Cut Automatic Fire Suppression System
• Fast-forward Auto speedo mounted Vehicle Speed Sensor
• New front and rear Oxygen sensors
• Moshimoto billet-aluminum PCV oil catch can
• Front dash Gauges: oil pressure, exhaust temp, boost, tranaxle temp, intake temp
NON-CONVERSION MECHANICAL RELATED MODS:
• New clutch slave cylinder 2018
• New clutch master cylinder 2018
• New stainless braided clutch (Syncro) line to slave cylinder 2017
• New power steering lines front to rear 2017
• New fuel tank, complete seals, level sender 2017
• New fuel filter 11/19
• New Fuel Pump 2020
• Complete vehicle undercoat 2017
• New coolant heater hose front to rear 2017
• New transaxle tunnel firewall insulation
• Engine bay painted in high heat paint
• New rear brake shoes 2020
• New rear brake wheel cylinders 2018
• New falken wildpeak tires (215,70/R16) 2019
• New Brake master cylinder 2016
• Buly Motorsports Stainless Braided brake lines 2019
• New defrost/heater blower fan (in dash) 2016
• Dual nozzle windshield wiper fluid squitter 2018
• Complete slider door overhaul, all new bearings 2018
• Steering coupler bushings replaced 2019
Burly Motorsports hitch
CAMPER RELATED MODS:
• 200 Watts Renogy Solar Panels with custom mounting system
• triple Yakima rack system
• Victron Blue Solar MPPT Bluetooth solar charge controller
• LCD solar display screen installed by table
• Custom camper wiring system with aftermarket fuse panel
• 12V socket installed for Engle 12v fridge/feezer
• New GoWesty Sunbrella 3window poptop canvas (2019)
• 150ah House battery capacity
o (1) VMAX Charge tank deep cycle 50ah installed under driver seat
o (1) VMAX Charge Tank Deep Cycle 100ah installed in cabinet
o Battery cut-off switches installed on both batteries to allow isolation
• Complete interior LED lights
o (2) Round LEDs over driver/passenger seats
o (3) Adjustable interior light bars
o (1) round LED over lower bed
o LED bulbs for original light bar
o Complete “warm yellow” LED dimmable light stripping around the interior
• Custom fridge extraction cabinet build w/ spice rack
• New Pioneer Bluetooth Stereo and remote
• All new speakers, front speakers relocated to bottom of door
• ABS Black plastic door panels installed on front doors
• Propex HS2800 Propane heater installed under bench seat
o Custom protective box installed around unit
o Custom vent panel installed where original VW heater vents were
• New Propane tank (meets modern safety standards) 2016
• 12V socket and USB ports installed in cabinet
• 400 Watt power inverter
TRANSAXLE MODS (2017):
• Complete overhaul and rebuild – work done by Mr. Gas Auto
• Peloquin Torque biasing differential
• Weddle 3rd and 4th gears. 1.18 3rd gear, 0.77 4th gear
• South African gear oiling plates
• Steel caged idler bearings
• Aluminum gear carrier
• New Main shaft thrust plate
EXHAUST MODS (2017):
• Custom built exhaust header – Work done by Infinity Welding Silverthorne CO
• Custom built exhaust system – Work done by Bud’s Muffler Denver CO
• Magniflow high performance catalytic converter
• Magniflow muffler
• New turbo charger
• Custom exhaust up-pipe - Work done by Bud’s Muffler Denver CO
• Turbo titanium heat wrap blanket
• Adhesive heat wrap around slave cylinder and misc. hoses and wires.
• New GoWesty 1.5” front and rear lifting springs 2017
• New Bilstein XHD specially valved shocks for VW Westys 2017
• New driver side radius rod 2017
• New upper ball joints 2017
• New Lower ball joints 2019
• New inner and outer tie rods 2018
• New bellow boots for tie rods 2017
• All components painted/rust treated
• New driver side lower control arm bolt
• New rear control arm bolts 2017
• T3 Technique Heavy Duty sway bar and HD endlinks 2020
Powerflex Bushings installed (2017):
• Front Lower control arms
• Radius rods
• Front upper control arms
• Rear trailing arms
*The engine may or may not meet emissions tests depending on buyer location. Buyer is responsible for this.