We built this Syncro Westy for McGreggor back in 2008. Check out that sale by clicking here.
This is everything we did for him at that time:
• Custom two-tone paint scheme:
- Repainted all over OEM VW 1990 Doka light green, except
- All original white paint (in excellent condition) remains around windows, interior, and door jambs
• Texture treatment all around the bottom—color-matched to the green
• All windows removed and sent out for professional tinting
• New German "LT" type side view mirrors
• GoWesty plate steel bumpers, rear with integral hitch
• GoWesty body mounted swing away carriers, both sides
• Bumpers and body-mounted swing away carriers powder coated silver
• Full-size spare on back
• GoWesty skid plate installed underneath—where low hanging spare was!
• GoWesty super duper ultra thorough detail inside and out
- Everything that is supposed to be there is there
- Everything that is there works
• New windshield and seal
• Fresh GoWesty 2.5 liter engine
• All new big brakes up front
• All new rear brakes
• Cooling, fuel, and electrical systems all gone through thoroughly
• GoWesty super duper ultra major maintenance service
- All maintenance items back to zero miles
• GoWesty progressive rate suspension springs with 2" lift
• Old Man Emu shocks all around
• 16" steel wheels with 215/70-16 Michelin LTX tires
• Drive shaft decoupler installed, with solid shaft instead of viscous coupler
• New LP tank assembly
• Winch ready:
-2 " receiver up front
- 175 amp power outlets front and rear (winch ready)
• Over $2600 worth of "just in case" preemptive reliability enhancing items
• GoWesty solar panel system
• Original fridge deleted with GoWesty Fridge-B-Gone kit
- Fridge removed, vent capped with custom plate, shelving installed
- Vent capped with custom plate,
• All electric Engel MT-45 refrigerator
• German Espar gasoline furnace
• Nice stereo
• All new speakers
• South African grill and round lights
• High powered headlights
• Keyless entry system
• Over $500 worth of AC work—but don't get too excited, it is STILL a Westy, after all...
• Black rubber floor mats throughout
• AUL extended warranty (www.aulcorp.com)
- "ESTATE" bumper to bumper coverage
- Zero deductible
- 36-month, 36,000-mile term
- Good anywhere in the USA or Canada
- Good at any independent garage or VW dealer
This time around, this is what is being added:
• Fresh service and minor repairs as needed
• New driveshaft
• All new wheels and tires
• New hemp pop-top tent
• Power window switches relocated to dash with GoWesty kit• Fresh service as needed
• Auxiliary battery kit updated to current GoWesty state-of-the-art system
That is about all it needs....
All said and done, McGreggor spent over $75,000 on this Westy back in 2008. It would cost at least $85,000 to build the same Westy today. He put only 13,602 miles on it.
Yeah, this is a good deal.
What else would be NICE to add? How about:
• Portable winch that can fit front or rear
• Updated stereo with Bluetooth hands-free cell phone interface
• Black leather Recaro front seats and matching front door panels
• South African black leather steering wheel
• Fresh transaxle with custom gearing
• Front locker (third knob on Syncro panel)
• Torque-biasing differentials front and rear
• Larger tires
• And, and, and...
If you can dream it up, we can make it happen! This puppy is definitely worthy of throwing just about ANYTHING you can think of at.
Joby came down on a Saturday to talk VW campers. We poked around several, and he got to drive a very nice Eurovan and this Syncro. I took him wheelin' in my Syncro—and that was it. He was sold.
Here is a report showing how it all added up:
INV# COST DESCRIPTION
201108 $58,745.10 VPC-VEHICLE PURCHASE CONTRACT
201109 $ 4,660.16 2ND BATT, PW SWITCH, DETAIL, TIRES
201411 $ 2,095.22 SERVICE/REPAIRS
201696 $ 1,637.43 AWNING, YAKIMA RACKS
202077 $ 1,802.71 WINCH, STEREO
202079 $ 8,086.80 F/D O/H, + F LCKR, 5.43 GEARS, 225 TIRES
202093 $ 499.08 NEW BLACK LEATHER STEERING WHEEL, OEM VW
202102 $ 216.50 SWITCH TO ALLOY WHEELS
202217 $ 757.98 PROJECT OVER-RUNS
202266 $ 2,143.34 FRESH TRANSAXLE
203573 $ 1,885.14 NEW SHOCKS AND SPRINGS
203574 $ 699.38 RL OPERABLE WINDOW W/TINT
209688 $ 203.35 MISC ISSUES
$83,432.19 TOTAL PROJECT COST
And the total out the door price includes all tax and license too.
Nice buy, Joby! Nice Syncro Westy!