For many years now, the "Achilles' heel" of the 1986-91 Vanagon has been the antiquated and usually-problematic Digifant fuel injection system. Even when it was brand new, Digifant was far from perfect. Fast forward thirty years, and one finds that every wire, connection, and component has the potential to bring your perfectly planned road trip to a screeching halt. Volkswagen themselves knew the system had genuine flaws, as did every Vanagon owner, repair shop, and parts retailer. For over a decade, we explored fixes, patches, upgrades, and improvements for the Digifant system. We were convinced we could get it to work reliably, but we were wrong. Short of Volkswagen releasing brand-new parts to completely replace the entire system, Digifant was going the way of the Dodo. If you're a history buff, you can sate your curiosity with the captivating tale here.
Everyone loves the Vanagon, but the writing was on the wall: Digifant had to be replaced with something smarter and more reliable. But what would this be, and who would invent such a thing? After six years, thousands of test hours, tens of thousands of test miles, and an unbelievable amount of effort, we are very proud to introduce the GoWesty Engine Management System (GW-EFI).
Here is what this kit does:
• Replaces no-longer-available-new (NLA) Bosch components
• Improves reliability
• Improves fuel efficiency
• Improves performance
• Adds self-diagnostic capability (OBDII)
• Compatible with any water-boxer currently running Digifant fuel injection!
For a limited time, the GoWesty EFI system will also come with a free ScanGauge OBD-II Kit, a $249.95 value.
We have approximately 80 of these systems running currently, roughly half of which have been installed here at GoWesty. The kits we sell online will all be installed elsewhere, and we anticipate there will be areas where we can improve the installation instructions or process. In exchange for a free Scanguage kit, you agree to provide feedback on the installation instructions and process. In addition, you agree to make your system available to our engineering team to log on remotely to your system to check for malfunctions and make software changes if and as necessary, at no additional charge from GoWesty. Please note that you may incur additional labor charges at your shop for this time. If it is your preference to opt-out of providing feedback, please refrain from purchasing an EFI system until our feedback period has concluded. Thank you!
GoWesty Engine Managagement System - Installation PDF
GW-EFI Mechanic's Guide
Estimated Installation Times:
• Professional VW mechanic first time GW-EFI install : Estimated 10-12 hours
• Professional VW mechanic, who has previously installed the GW-EFI: Estimated 8 hours
• Amateur: Estimated 14+ hours
The GoWesty Engine Management System is comprised of:
New Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
• Replaces no-longer-available (NLA) Digifant ECU and Idle Control Unit (ICU)
• Has standard OBD plug for diagnostics via OBD-II – Added feature
• Compatible with standard real-time parameter displays, including ScanGauge – Added feature
• Capable of future software updates as needed– Added feature
• Sequential-fire injection instead of batch-fire injection
All-new Billet Aluminum Throttle Body with modern TPS
• Replaces worn-out original throttle body with a new redesigned unit
• Modern, sealed TPS replaces antiquated and NLA factory throttle position switch
• Obtains accurate throttle position throughout the throttle range
Modern manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor – Added feature
• Added sensor for better fuel management control
• Used to obtain engine load and barometric pressure reading
New oxygen sensor
• Replaces antiquated factory oxygen sensor
• Modern 4-wire design with sealed electrical plug
• Used to adjust fuel trims
New knock sensor and controller – Added feature
• Added sensor to protect engine against detonation/pre-ignition
• Used to detect detonation/pre-ignition (called knock) and retard timing to mitigate detonation/ pre-ignition
Modern distributor-less ignition system – Added feature
• New electronic coil-on-plug ignition coils replaces antiquated factory single coil
• No more high-voltage ignition wires
• GoWesty-designed cam position unit and crank position wheel replaces antiquated distributor, cap, rotor, wires
• Used to accurately determine crankshaft and camshaft position
Modern Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor in GoWesty-designed MAF housing
• Replaces antiquated and NLA factory air flow meter
• Meters incoming air in order to control the amount of fuel used
GoWesty Tachometer Adapter
• Converts the digital tachometer signal from the more modern ECU to a signal that the factory tachometer will read
GoWesty-designed all-new engine management wiring harness
• Replaces prone-to-moisture intrusion, antiquated, corroded, and NLA factory harness
• All modern, completely sealed connectors for years of trouble-free service in all conditions
TECHNICAL NOTES & CONSIDERATIONS:
Ignition timing: Timing is set just like with Digifant, 35 degrees at 3000 RPM. Idle speed and fuel mixture is not adjustable and is completely automatic, as it was (supposed to be!) with Digifant.
Digifant Components: Several components of the original Bosch Digifant system will be re-used, and their proper operation is critical for the new GW-EFI system to work properly and reliably. It is HIGHLY recommended that all of these items (listed below) be replaced if they are original, or of unknown age. GoWesty will continue to supply these items individually for the long-term, of course. Stay tuned for an optional GoWesty kit that will supply all of the items we feel are critical for reliable long-term operation.
• Fuel injectors
• Fuel pressure regulator
• Fuel pump
• Idle air control (IAC) valve
• Coolant temperature sensor
• Power steering pressure switch
Download the EFI installation instructions on the "Instructions" tab to see the pre-check procedure.
EMISSIONS INFORMATION: The GoWesty EFI system has received an official California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order #D-786, and is smog-legal in all 50 states.