Awarded Bicycling Magazine's 5-star rating! The SportsRig MicroTrailer is simply the world's finest MicroTrailer.
The SportsRig MicroTrailer is the perfect solution for hauling all of your outdoor and lifestyle gear. With a whopping 450 pound cargo capacity, it is even tough enough for a run to the lumberyard! This is a super smart, super compact, and super high quality trailer that anyone can use easily and safely. It is 100% designed and hand-built right here on the beautiful Central Coast of California, and is guaranteed to generate many years of great memories.
Known as the original "Roof Rack on Wheels," the lightweight SportsRig MicroTrailer carries kayaks, bikes, camping gear and more. It reliably handles highway speeds, and does not bounce around on bumpy roads due to its sophisticated and supple independant swing-arm suspension system. Read the "Smart & Eco-Friendly" tab for more great info!
You can customize your "Rig" exactly the way you want it with a multitude of SportsRig® MicroTrailer accessories. See related items below.
The basic trailer package comes complete with the following standard accessories:
• Heavy duty shock absorbers that allow you to carry up to 450 lbs. of cargo
• Folds up into a tripod for easy storage
• D.O.T. approved Tail Light Kit
• Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
• Pair of 58" Load Bars (or upgrade to 66")
• Durable powder coat finish
• Standard length tongue.*
BONUS: Buy from GoWesty, and your trailer will come with a FREE Handcart Handle ($35 value)!
*Standard Tongue Mainly used for those hauling bikes, camping gear, snow gear, etc. Longer tongues available in the following lengths:
• Optional Tongue Ext. A Max boat length if 2+ mounted side by side: 15'8". Max boat length for 1 boat mounted in the middle: 17'8".
• Optional Tongue Ext. B Max boat length if 2+ mounted side by side: 18'8". Max boat length for 1 boat mounted in the middle: 21'8".
• Optional Tongue Ext. C Max boat length for 2+ mounted side by side: 22'8". Max boat length for 1 boat mounted in the middle: 23'8".
Shipping note: Shipping costs are subject to change. If the actual shipping charges vary from what you are quoted at the time of checkout, we will contact you directly with an updated shipping calculation. Item ships directly from manufacturer via FedEx.
Note for non-US/Canada customers: Manufacturer does not ship directly out of the U.S. and Canada. SportsRig items must ship to us first before heading your way. This may cause some additional delay.
Note for "In Store Pick Up": Some SportsRig items may not be available for "will call" (in store) pick up, and may be considered a special order item. If that's the case, we'll contact you with details.
Save your back, get a SportsRig! No overhead lifting. No need for backing up, easily unhitch the MicroTrailer and handcart it to your destination. Makes loading and unloading your gear a breeze!
Why the SportsRig® MicroTrailer is better than other trailers on the market:
• AMERICAN MADE: We take great pride in the fact that our trailers are made and assembled by a family owned and operated business, right here in the US of A! We also use local resources to help produce our trailer.
• STEEL VS. ALUMINUM: The SportsRig® is made of steel instead of aluminum. Even though our trailer is steel, it weighs about the same as it would if it were made of aluminum. This is because, even though aluminum is about 2/3rds the weight of steel, it is also about 2/3rds the strength. So, the steel members used on our trailers are thinner than they would have to be if we made them out aluminum, so the overall weight difference is negligible.
• STRENGTH/DURABILITY: Whereas all things made of aluminum have a finite life, things made of steel can be designed for infinite life. Due the metallurgical properties of aluminum, stressed members made of aluminum will eventually fail. By contrast, stressed steel members can be designed for an infinite life, and can literally last forever.
• CORROSION RESISTANCE: The SportsRig® MicroTrailer offers better resistance and solutions to corrosion. Since aluminum does not "rust" like steel does, it has led the misunderstanding that aluminum does not corrode at all, which is far from the truth. "Rust" is just a specific term for corrosion of steel, whereas there is not a specific term for corrosion of aluminum other than just "corrosion". But make no mistake: Aluminum does corrode, and there are fewer affordable choices for providing corrosion protection coatings for aluminum than are available for steel.
• ROAD WORTHINESS: With our large diameter wheels and independent suspension, the SportsRig does not fall into the pitfalls that other trailers do with leaf-spring suspension and smaller wheels. You can rest assured that your gear will be travelling smoothly and safely behind you at all times, at highway speeds and even off-road.
• EARTH CONSCIOUSNESS: The SportsRig MicroTrailer also allows you to choose a more fuel efficient vehicle and still have the cargo capacity you need. Hook up the SportsRig MicroTrailer when you need it - for your outdoor adventures or just a trip to the garden center. Now you can downsize your vehicle and lower your monthly payments and what you pay at the pumps every time you fill up. Honor your connection with Nature: reduce global warming and take those trips you need to rejuvenate yourself and your family!
Support American made products! The SportsRig MicroTrailer is the only sports trailer that is fabricated by a family owned and operated facility right here in the USA!
CAN THE SPORTSRIG® MICROTRAILER HANDLE HIGHWAY SPEEDS?
Yes - the tires, wheels, shocks, and bearings are all motorcycle components and are proven to be extremely reliable after thousands of miles of brutal testing. Our suspension provides stability that exceeds any other trailer design. Our customers rave about its high-speed performance.
DOES IT COME WITH LIGHTS?
Yes. The SportsRig comes with a DOT (Department of Transportation) approved lighting system. That includes 4 side marker lights with reflectors and 2 working taillights.
DOES THE SPORTSRIG® MICROTRAILER BOUNCE AROUND ON BUMPY ROADS?
The SportsRig® does not bounce around on bumpy roads, the result of years of developing its sophisticated and supple suspension system. The SportsRig Suspension System is designed specifically for transporting payloads of up to 450 pounds or under and to isolate your expensive equipment from road shock. Standard leaf spring and torsional axle designs, found on almost all conventional trailers, typically go airborne with loads under a few hundred pounds due to their limitations.
WHAT MAKES THE SPORTSRIG® SUSPENSION SYSTEM SO SPECIAL?
Our classic independent trailing link design is derived from motorcycle racing and delivers far superior handling and superior overall suspension performance over conventional trailers: Our spring rates are matched to your cargo weight — we stay on the ground when we're empty!
• More wheel travel than leaf spring or torsional axle designs means more absorption of bumps.
• Large 16" diameter wheels and 22" tires rotate slower than smaller conventional trailer wheels. Small wheels can be going 80mph when you're going 40 mph and are tougher on tires and bearings.
• Large diameter wheels roll over bumps with less impact than smaller wheels.
• Lower unsprung wheel weight: our high performance wheels are lighter than other trailer wheels and therefore get pushed back to the ground faster keeping you in contact and control.
HOW EASY IS IT TO STORE?
With the SportsRig's Fast-Fold Tongue, you simply pull one pin, grab the soft handle on the Fast-Fold Tongue and tilt your rig up on its bumper-stands in seconds. As you lift the handle, the tongue folds to form a tripod support all by itself and pins in place to give you a stable and compact tripod. To top it off, with the optional Rolling Bumper-stands you can tilt your folded trailer slightly back onto the casters, and roll it side to side for even more storage possibilities. This will allow you to maneuver the trailer in all four directions.
HOW MUCH DOES THE SPORTSRIG WEIGH AND WHAT ARE THE DIMENSIONS?
The basic SportsRig MicroTrailer weighs in at 165 pounds. It's 58" wide with the standard crossbars, 22" tall to the deck, 38" center to center of load bars. Overall Length - Standard Tongue (9' 2") , Tongue Extension A (12' 8"), Tongue Extension B (14' 2"), Tongue Extension C (15' 8") . Folded up dimensions - 68" tall X 58" wide X 24" deep.
HOW MUCH WEIGHT CAN IT CARRY?
The SportsRig is designed to carry up to a total of 450 pounds of gear. Kayaks, bikes and cargo should be evenly loaded with 10% of the weight in front of the suspension. The T-Rack (upper level) can carry up to 150 pounds, gear should be loaded towards the center, keeping the weight balanced from side to side.
WHAT IS IT MADE OUT OF?
Primarily A36 carbon structural steel tubing with a 3-mil powder coating. Many steel parts are laser cut for precision. Many suspension components are motorcycle and automotive grade. Many critical parts are made to our specifications as defined by our quality management system.
CAN I CARRY ITEMS LIKE LONG KAYAKS AND CANOES WITH THE MICROTRAILER?
Yes, we offer three Tongue Extensions to accommodate pretty much any length of kayak and canoe. The standard tongue is mainly used for bikes/gear and shorter kayaks up to 7'6". Here's what the Tongue Extensions can accommodate:
• Tongue Extension A: Max boat length if 2+ mounted side-by-side: 15'8"/Max length if 1 mounted in middle: 17'8"
• Tongue Extension B: Max boat length if 2+ mounted side-by-side: 18'8"/Max length if 1 mounted in middle: 21'8"
• Tongue Extension C: Max boat length if 2+ mounted side-by-side: 22'8"/Max length if 1 mounted in middle: 23'8"
DOES THE MICROTRAILER NEED TO BE REGISTERED?
Most states require it to be registered, but it registers just like a regular trailer. We provide you with a Mfg. Certificate of Origin and a VIN Number. Take those to your Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) and you will be issued a license plate.
WHAT SIZE BALL AND HITCH DOES THE TRAILER USE AND HOW DO I MAKE THE MICROTRAILER LEVEL?
A 1 7/8 inch ball. The MicroTrailer only requires a Class I hitch, the smallest of types I, II, and III. The Class I hitch has a very small (1.25" square) receiver tube and is hardly noticeable under a luxury or sports car's rear bumper. Choose a ball mount with the proper offset to level the MicroTrailer. The bottom of the coupler is 18" off the ground with the MicroTrailer level.
HOW DO YOU LOCK YOUR GEAR TO YOUR SPORTSRIG AND PREVENT THEFT?
The most effective way to lock your kayaks and bikes is to use a long cable lock and run it through your gear. You can also run it through the wheels on the SportsRig. Another way to secure your trailer is put a pad lock through the coupler. This secures your SportsRig to your vehicle. You can also put a pad lock through the coupler when your trailer is detached from your vehicle preventing anyone from being able to attach it to their vehicle.
YOU SAY THE MICROTRAILER IS EARTH-FRIENDLY — HOW IS THAT?
The SportsRig® MicroTrailer is a good environmental choice as we face our energy future – leave the cargo capacity at home when unneeded, spend less at the pumps, and reduce emissions. Of course, everyone needs outdoor activities and a connection to our outside world, so capacity can be added when needed, but left at home when it's not. It's another form of "plug and play."
ARE THERE ANY OFFICIAL REVIEWS OF YOUR PRODUCT?
Yes, Bicycling Magazine awarded us their highest rating: 5 stars! One of the most respected technical editors in the bicycle industry, Jim Langley, reviewed the SportsRig® MicroTrailer (formerly the Howling Dog trailer). His review, which appeared in Bicycling Magazine, gave the trailer his highest mark: five stars! When we picked up the trailer after his review, Langley said he almost broke Bicycling Magazine's company van testing the trailer.