• Holds up to 5 gallons of water.
• Shower can be pumped up to 15PSI for extra pressure.
• Weighs 15lbs dry, 55lbs full of water.
• Slot Channel is 55" long and the mounting bolts can be moved over this entire length.
• Mounting carriage bolts take a 1/2" nut. Nylock nuts included. 1/2" wrench not included.
• Powder Coated Aluminum 1/10" thick walls.
• Pressure relief valves opens at 25 PSI.
• Hose length is 55".
• Elbow is 1/2" x 1/2" NPT thread.
• Female hose end is 1/2" NPT thread. Male hose end is GHT.
• Hose is 5/8" ID food grade hose such as used in the brewing industry.
• Empty Weight: 15 lbs. Full weight: 55 lbs.
• Dimensions: 56.5" x 7" x 5".
• Boxed weight: 19 lbs. Box size: 9" x 9" x 58"Intake air valve is Shrader valve.
1. Mount it to your rack. The Road Shower has a T-slot on the underside built into the aluminum body. A 5/16" carriage bolt slides from the end to the location of your mount. This is exactly the way that the old style Yakima bike tray mounts to a rack. It attaches to Yakima round or Thule square bars, or factory mounted racks, or aeroblade, t-channel crossbars. Road Shower is the only rack mounted portable solar shower on the market. Road Shower comes with Yakima or Thule bar mounting hardware from Rocky Mounts.
2. Fill it up. Use a gallon jug or a garden hose. It holds about 5 gallons. This is enough for two good camping-style showers. You can use drinking water because the aluminum and food grade clear poly hose are perfectly non-toxic. By the way, you can check the water level using the clear poly hose. Just hold the hose nozzle above the top of the shower, and pull the trigger. The water inside the shower will fill the clear hose and show you the water level.
3. Let it heat up. Road Shower uses the renewable energy of the sun. The sun heats the black surface on the outside which heats the water on the inside. The water temperature rises 12-20 degrees per hour on a warm sunny day. If your water starts at 60 degrees, it should be 90+ degrees in about 2 hours. On a hot sunny day the water can exceed 130 degrees, so be careful. Just feel the tank with your hand. The water will be the termperature of the tank. For added safety, spray some water on your hand to see if it is too hot. Allow about 10 seconds to drain the hose and get the heated water from the tank. If the water is too hot, wait until it cools or drain some and add a gallon of cool water. It heats up while you are driving down the highway, 4-wheeling, or parked somewhere in the sun. The Road Shower does not heat water as well if the outside temperature is below 70 degrees and/or the sun is low in the sky (or during cloudy days). However, if the water is about 70 degrees in the tank, you can heat 1 gallon of water on a camp stove, add it to 3 gallons of water in the tank, and the water will be about 100 degrees.
4. Pump it up. The Road Shower works well using gravity for washing hands or cleaning spills. If you are using gravity, you may need to remove the cap to allow air to enter the tank.
However, you can add pressure to it by pumping it with a hand pump or a CO2 cartridge pump. You can squirt a jet of water up to 25 feet. You should be able to get about 1-2 minutes of continuous water pressure per pumping of the shower, if adequate air space is available in the Road Shower. If your Road Shower is full, you will need to drain a little before you can start pumping. You can't add much air until there is a gallon of air space inside. At that point, you can pump it up, which would be about 15 pumps with a floor model bike pump. The Road Shower comes with a pressure relief valve on the cap for safety, to help prevent over pressurization and a possible explosion. The cap valve releases at 18 PSI.
5. Take a shower. The nozzle is an adjustable garden hose nozzle. You can choose a variety of spray patterns. If you need a lot of water fast, just remove the nozzle. The nozzle can be worked with one hand. It can also be set on open. You can hook it to the middle clip while you soap off with both hands.
NOTE: If your vehicle has a pop-top, this product is designed to be used with the pop-top CLOSED.