If you plan on running a wheel/tire package larger than what we currently offer, and to get more wheel travel out of your Vanagon's rear suspension, you will need a set of GoWesty modified trailing arms. GoWesty rear suspension arms are lengthened by 1", just like VW did on their infamous "Syncro 16" offered only in Europe. In addition to that, the factory pinch weld in one key area has been modified to allow for a much wider tire. A brand new GoWesty spring perch is also installed on each—in a new location so that the spring-to-pivot-point geometry is properly maintained. All the work is done on our precision jigs so you can be assured proper alignment between the wheel and body is maintained (no surprises when you perform your 4-wheel alignement after installation!). Then we powdercoat them and have two brand new bushings installed to save you the hassle of doing it yourself.
• With a standard-height spring set, these arms will retain your factory ride height.
• Add our taller coil springs for 2" of lift, or...
• For a full 3" of suspension lift, please use in conjunction with our Fox Shock Kit, 2" lifting springs, and two 1/2" spacer pads per side (see related items below!).
• 100% new spring base plates welded on.
• Completely cleaned inside and out, media blasted, and powdercoated in a satin black.
• Four new trailing arm bushings pressed in.
• Direct fit for all 2WD & 4WD Vanagons.
1) These arms move the rear wheels back 1" relative to the wheel well, increasing the space between the front of the tire and body by 1" and decreasing by the same amount aft of the tire. Rubbing may occur between the back of the tire and body, the degree to which will vary depending on tire size selected.
1) When adding a suspension lift and longer travel to your Vanagon, we highly recommend upgrading to the heavy-duty 930 CV axle kit. Sold separately below.
Please note: The original trailing arms on your Vanagon were put together with brand-new steel that fit together perfectly, assembled by a robot using resistance spot-welding techniques, and painted using a dipping process. These GoWesty lengthened trailing arms begin with those same factory-made arms—that now have 25+ years on them! We cut them apart, grind them, modify them, and weld them back together (by hand), and them have them blasted and powder coated. As a result, they do not look as perfect as the fresh-off-the-line part, especially on the inside—and it is not possible to get the powder coating to fully penetrate every nook and cranny. You will notice imperfections, and areas not fully covered by the powder coating will eventually begin to rust. This rust is aesthetic in most applications, and it will not lead to structural failure. If you intend to use expose these arms to highly corrosive environments (salt), and you want to prevent any rust from forming, we recommend a thorough coating of POR-15, manually applied to the entire interior surface before installation. This is NOT required for function or longevity under normal operating conditions.
These trailing arms began their life as standard original arms found on any 2WD or 4WD Vanagon. We need your old non-rusty, non-bent trailing arms in exchange for these modified and rebuilt ones. We ask for $400/pair to ensure you send them back and keep our program stocked with cores from which to work. Once you return your rebuildable trailing arms, we will immediately refund your core charges. If you feel your trailing arms may be too rusty or defective, please email pictures here for review.