|Part #: BIGGER-BRAKES|
|Works with: 1980-91|
|Weight: 73.00 lbs|
|Starting At: $499.95|
|Enjoy 5% GoBucks credit when you purchase this item online!|
We are extremely pleased to offer the GoWesty BIGGER Brake system for your 1980-91 Vanagon.
The GW system includes: massive rotors, massive single-piston calipers and caliper carriers, stainless steel brake hoses, and brake pads. If you drive a 2WD Vanagon—and you do not currently have a big brake system installed—you'll also need our hub kit (available via the drop-down menu below). Optional 2WD hub kit includes: hubs, front-outer wheel bearings, front-inner wheel bearings, wheel bearing seals, axle nuts.
Features at a glance:
• Improved stopping power
• Greatly decreased brake fade
• Improved pedal feel
• Direct bolt-on kit that is 100% complete
• Better performance, better long-term availability, and better value
• (2) Single piston calipers and custom-designed carriers
• (2) Vented rotors (284mm)
• (2) Stainless steel braided brake hoses
• (1) Semi-metallic brake pad set (Meyle D884SM)
• (1) Installation hardware
Performance: This GoWesty system is a major upgrade to your stock set-up, especially in terms of our massive rotors. This component of the front brake system is by far the most important in terms of performance. The rotor is what absorbs and dissipates energy (heat) when a large, heavy vehicle slows down. These rotors offer an additional 3mm of thickness and an extra pound of steel over what the competition offers—and they're over 5 pounds heavier than stock—and this is very, very significant. As a percentage, our rotors offer 45% more thermal mass than a stock rotor! Now that's massive! This means no more warping, brake fade, or vibration. Your vehicle simply STOPS.
Long-term availability: This is probably the most important element of this endeavor. We set out to create not only the best direct-fit system on the market, but one with long-term availability of components. Over the past decade, we have offered several brake systems that were cobbled together by other companies. These "kits" mostly worked well, but availability was routinely spotty. Replacement parts were hard to obtain, and we often found ourselves out of stock on critical components several times per year. We finally decided to take on the task of developing our own in-house kit to relieve ourselves and our customers of the supply chain headaches once and for all.
Unlike the Audi-based alternative (among several others), this kit does not rely on another production vehicle to keep this system’s components in stock. We went straight to one of the largest OEM manufacturers for these components and had them made specifically for us. Starting with their most common and reliable single-piston caliper drawing, they developed the biggest and most robust package we could shoe-horn onto the Vanagon platform. Every component in this kit (with the exception of the brake pads) is batch produced piece-by-piece for GoWesty. This ensures that replacement parts can always be manufactured at the low volume levels that a small company like ours requires.
Value: This is the most affordable front brake upgrade on the market, but—even more importantly—it is also the best in the business in terms of performance, which makes it an exceptionally good value. To add a further level of completeness to this kit, we also include our custom-made stainless steel brake lines to fully dress out your upgraded brake system!
BUY-BACK OFFER! Send us your used late-model (1986-91) calipers, and we'll give you $50 in GoBucks credit! Please call (888) 469-3789 for a return authorization number.
DISCLAIMER: This brake system should only be installed by a competent mechanic. Failure to install this product correctly could result in serious injury or death.
IMPORTANT INSTALLATION NOTES:
• This system requires the use of a 15" or larger diameter wheel. Obviously, there are many different styles of wheels available on the market, and we could not test fit every single option. We do know that this kit will NOT work with German Mefro brand 15" steel wheels, European OEM Syncro-16 steel wheels, Rhein wheels, and some other non-VW wheels.
• If you have a 2WD vehicle, this kit requires ten (10) lug nuts (as opposed to the lug bolts you currently use). You can find steel wheel nuts here, and alloy nuts here—and in the related items section below.
• 1980-85 vehicles require spindles and caliper bolts from a 1986-91 Vanagon to fit this brake kit.
• Due to the enormity of this system, clearance on 15" alloys can be tight. In some cases, internal stick-on wheel weights may cause interference. If that is the case, external bead weights can be used.
GoWesty! Camper Products is a privately owned company specializing in parts, accessories, sales and service of Volkswagen (R) campers. It is not affiliated in any way with Volkswagen of America or Volkswagen AG. "Vanagon", "Bus", "VW", "Volkswagen", and "Eurovan" are registered trademarks and should be considered as such throughout our entire website.